On Sunday May 15 2011, 150,000 people marched in about 40 cities throughout Spain under the banner of Democracia Real Ya (Real Democracy Now). The main slogan of the demonstrations was “We are not commodities in the hands of bankers and politicians”. In this article, which was originally published in 2011, Alan Woods explains the significance of this movement and outlines the position of Marxists towards it.
- Spain: reactionary, anti-government demonstrations polarise political mood 28 May 2020
- Spain: crisis in the European Union – is a new Marshall Plan for Europe viable? 1 May 2020
- Spain: no to the reopening of non-essential activity – life before profits! 21 Apr 2020
- Spain: Felipe VI and the corruption of the monarchy – for the Third Republic and socialism! 20 Apr 2020
- Spain: Procavi sackings and trade union repression in the pandemic – support the solidarity campaign! 16 Apr 2020