On Sunday May 15 2011, 150,000 people marched in about 40 cities throughout Spain under the banner of Democracia Real Ya (Real Democracy Now). The main slogan of the demonstrations was “We are not commodities in the hands of bankers and politicians”. In this article, which was originally published in 2011, Alan Woods explains the significance of this movement and outlines the position of Marxists towards it.
- Spain: PSOE-UP coalition government – a risky step full of dangers 13 Nov 2019
- Massive Catalan general strike: a qualitative leap 19 Oct 2019
- Long live the general strike in Catalonia! Freedom for the political prisoners! 18 Oct 2019
- Catalan republican movement advances: revolutionary leadership needed! 16 Oct 2019
- Catalonia: the whip of reaction reactivates republican protests 15 Oct 2019